Table lamps are an essential lighting element to a well-lit room. Table lamps create and enhance your family and friends moods, your settings and accents throughout your rooms. Everyday activities such as household tasks, entertaining, cooking and work related activities, during the day and evening hours, depend on adequate light sources and without the proper lighting those tasks would become difficult or impossible. Below you will find a few tips for choosing the right table lamp, encompassing the design and lighting hints listed above.
What does a table lamp do for your decor?
- Illuminate your space
- Amplify your style
- Create focal points for such activities as reading or writing
- Define the style of the room
- Highlight certain areas
When choosing lamps, consider the style you’re going for in your home first. Is it traditional? Modern? Eclectic?
Modern / Contemporary Style:
- Simple and streamlined, minimalist
- Sometimes classified as ‘Vogue’
- Slim bases
- Drum-shaped shades or slightly flared
Timeless Traditional Style – a look that seems to be forever evolving, yet popular throughout the centuries. Traditional lighting fixtures tend to lend a timeless elegance to your home or business.
- Shades with a tapered shapes tend to blend well with traditional decors
- Antique ceramic lamps with colorful textiles
Choose Shades with Flair – add color or texture to a room, with just a lamp shade.
- Bold patterns
- Interesting textures
- Decorative touches like beads or tassels
- Lamp shades are available in different shapes, including drum, flared, empire and more. For more information check out our blog: Know your Lighting: Part 1 – Understanding the Lamp Shade’s Shape
Choosing the Right Sized Lamp and Lamp Shade – 4 ways to make sure the size of your lamp is appropriate for its location.
- Don’t put a massive lamp on a very small table
- A very small lamp will look out of place in a large room
- The shade should be one-half to three-fourths the size of the base
- The shade should hide the internal hardware of the lamp
How much light will you need?
Ask yourself, do you need the lamp to illuminate an entire room or provide light just for tasks like reading or office work? Considerations when choosing the brightness or dimness of your light are:
- The shade’s color
- Your bulbs lumens
- Shade coverage of your bulb
Optional table lamp upgrades:
- Shade switch out
To see our selection of table lamps visit: LightopiaOnline.com